The Telegraph – China may not overtake America this century after all
Seriously though I think if you thought this thru you kind of had to see it coming. China is aging itself out of competition with it’s one child policy, and there have been rumors about them cooking the books on their economic growth for a long time. This reminds me of the “Rising Sun” era in the 80’s and early 90’s when the fear was Japan was going to dominate the world and buy out the US. Look how well that worked out.
If I was betting on a country that might (might mind you) eventually supplant America as the dominant world power I would bet on India, except they are so damn resource poor, but the have the population and it is a growing young population and they have the educational infra structure and are making market reforms that have already substantially expanded their economy. If they play it right they could really explode over the next few years.
Endgadget – So about those Indian reforms (subtitle “Chad you F’in idiot”)
A new system for monitoring almost everything that’s going on inside India’s telecoms network has been quietly launched. The Central Monitoring System will offer tax collectors, law enforcement and and other agencies the ability to scrutinize phone calls, text messages, emails, social networking and general web activity.
So possibly a little hiccup in the general reform policy, but I think in general my theory still holds since I offered the massive qualifiers about them playing their cards right.
Gizmodo – Be a superspy like the NSA
Following a Freedom of Information Act request by MuckRock, the National Security Agency has been forced to make public a book it produced called Untangling the Web: A Guide to Internet Research. Understandably, it’s full of gems
Whoo-hoo let the games begin.
New York Times – Stephen Hawking joins anti-Israel boycott.
Personally I am not a fan of Israel, purely on the basis of some of their past actions not because I think the state is illegitimate of some simmering anti-Semitism, but when comparing the two sides to decide that the Palestinians are the good guys is just retarded.
TechCrunch – Watch the Earth change on Google maps.
a series of interactive time lapse images that progress year-by-year, showing exactly how things have changed in key areas like the Brazilian Amazon Rain Forest, booming metropolitan areas like Las Vegas and Dubai, and the progress of large bodies of water like the Aral Sea.
The Hacker News – #OpUSA has begun
Basically groups of Middle – Eastern and North African hackers have decided that America is evil and so they are going to launch DDoS attacks against banks and government websites. How that will make us less evil isn’t exactly clear but that’s their plan.
Similar Independent Sources posts:
- China Trade Talks Update: Following up on yesterday's post about the US/China Trade Talks, the Washington Post reports that there has already been some progress: The Chinese go ...
- Good News or Bad News – China’s Economy 40% Smaller Than Previously Thought: From Investors Business Daily The World Bank's latest estimates for the global economy contained a stunner of a statistic: China accounts for just und ...
- Boxer’s Defenders Use “Anti-Semitism” Smear … Shoot Selves In Foot: Any time a post leads with "the Republican attack machine can’t touch the moral center, the logical incision, or the factual accuracy of Califor ...
- Is the WTO good for America?: I am starting "The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith" again and as I was flipping thru some of the sections on trade I started questioning; are the Worl ...
- Sheldon Drobny has convinced me. Conservatives really are evil.: Especially that Karl Rove guy Sheldon Drobny, a founder of liberal radio network Air America was deeply concerned about liberal anti-semitism. At lea ...