UpdateThe Los Angeles Times blog that Michael Hiltzik blogs has been taken down for violation of Times’ ethics guidelines. In part because Mr. Hiltzik did not identify himself when on Independent Sources and in fact denied being him when confronted.
Update: It is back up but without the post where he admits/defends what he did and belittling those who called him on it. You can read Hiltzik’s censored post in its entirety here.
Michael Hiltzik (pictured below but if you look closely you will see that he was drawn with the words “Independent Sources”) may be one of the most written about writers this week in the blogosphere. Independent Sources certainly contributed our part to his exposure having written several pieces on him (linked below). While ours are probably not the kind of exposure he would like, the result is likely a tremendous increase in awareness about Hiltzik and his blog. When this all blows over he is certain to have greatly raised his online profile.
For Independent Sources the most recent activity started last week, when we posted a story called “Is your cable bill too high? Ours is.” The very first comment was from someone using the name “nofanofcablecos” who called us stupid and clueless. It turns out that nofanofcablecos was none other than Los Angeles Times writer Michael Hiltzik.
He might have been set off by another post that was running at the same time called “Read this if if you will enjoy watching a liberal L.A. Times columnist get whacked over the head repeatedly by the facts” where we pointed to a story at Patterico’s blog concerning Hiltzik’s take on a Costa Mesa program to check the status of illegal immigrants accused of committing serious crimes.
In between these, Independent Sources addressed Hiltzik’s serial abuse of statistics in The Los Angeles Times’ Michael Hiltzik Abuses Web Stats For Fun and Profit.
Since there are other topics in the world to write about we are pleased that the fun has moved over to Patterico’s Pontifications where Patterico carefully outlines a detailed analysis of Hiltzik’s self-congratulatory comments left anonymously at Patterico’s and other blogs, Three in One: Michael Hiltzik, Mikekoshi, and Nofanofcablecos . It paints a very clear picture of an established mainstream writer’s clumsy attempts to adjust to an online world and the temptation to post complimentary things about one’s self instead of waiting around for others to do so.
Update: Hiltzik’s blog is down and has been replaced with the following text:
The Times has suspended Michael Hiltzik’s Golden State blog on latimes.com. Hiltzik admitted Thursday that he posted items on the paper’s website, and on other websites, under names other than his own. That is a violation of The Times ethics policy, which requires editors and reporters to identify themselves when dealing with the public. The policy applies to both the print and online editions of the newspaper. The Times is investigating the postings.
Update: Hiltzik’s really bad week continues as WAPO picks up the story (“Los Angeles Times Yanks Columnist’s Blog“).
The Los Angeles Times suspended the blog of one of its top columnists last night, saying he violated the paper’s policy by posting derogatory comments under an assumed name.
Others picking up the thread:
Winds of Change
Ace of Spades
Okie on the LAM
L’ Ombre de l’Olivier
Blue Crab Blvd.
Real Ugly American
Right Wing Nutjobs
Common Sense Journal
Similar Independent Sources posts:
- You won’t believe this: Another Times Employee Leaving Easily Traceable “Anonymous” Comments: LA Times employee follows Michael Hiltzik's foolish footsteps and fails to erase them as well A commenter called "Masha" left this nice message on Pat ...
- Nofanofcablecos gets his LA Times column back; the return of Michael Hiltzik: For us it started as a comment to this Independent Sources post, and the comment "Boy, you guys are stupid." It was signed Nofanofcablecos. After a li ...
- Another Brick In The Wall …: In his post last week exposing the Los Angeles Times' Michael Hiltzik as a self promoting sock pupeteer, Patterico noted that "Mikekoshi," one of Hilt ...
- Hiltzik: “they trusted me to know where the limits were”: Hugh Hewitt points us to this Online Journalism Review interview of the Los Angeles Times' Michael Hiltzik. The piece went up last Monday, prior to Pa ...
- Selective Comment Moderation at Michael Hiltzik’s Golden State Blog?: Is the Los Angeles Times' Michael Hiltzik censoring Patterico (here, here)? Or just not allowing links in comments? Check back tomorrow for the answer ...