Moon forwarded us the following post which he received in the form of an email:
Don’t know whether you heard about this but Denzel Washington and his family visited the troops at Brook Army Medical Center, in San Antonio, Texas (BAMC) the other day. This is where soldiers that have been evacuated from Germany come to be hospitalized in the States, especially burn victims. They have buildings there called Fisher Houses. The Fisher House is a hotel where soldiers’ families can stay, for little or no charge, while their soldier is staying in the hospital. BAMC has quite a few of these houses on base but as you can imagine, they are almost completely filled most of the time.
While Denzel Washington was visiting BAMC, they gave him a tour of one of the Fisher Houses. He asked how much one of them would cost to build. He took his check book out and wrote a check for the full amount right there on the spot. The soldiers overseas were amazed to hear this story and want to get the word out to the American public, because it warmed their hearts to hear it.
The question I have is why does Alec Baldwin, Madonna, Sean Penn and other Hollywood types make front page news with their anti-everything America crap and this doesn’t even make page 3 in the Metro section of any newspaper except the base newspaper in San Antonio.
Independent Sources was immediately suspicious of this development since we are pretty much suspicious of everything. Plus if anyone is going to make fun of Sean Penn let it be us, not some unnamed emailer. Anyway, adding credence to the story were these cool photos:
But in the end, it is a hoax! In fact, officials at Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio are among the thousands of Americans getting deluged with Internet hoax e-mails claiming actor Denzel Washington ‘pulled out his checkbook on the spot’ and made a huge donation to help wounded soldiers during a ‘recent’ visit to wounded soldiers being treated at Brooke Army Medical Center, 1200 WOAI news reported today. Here is the real story:
The Internet hoax, which is often combined with sarcastic comments criticizing the media for ‘not reporting’ the non-event, have been headache for the Army, but provide a publicity windfall for Fisher House, a public-private partnership that builds housing for the families of wounded soldiers on the grounds of military and Veterans Administration hospitals nationwide.
The urban legend e-mail, which has picked up steam in the past two weeks, claims Washington was so impressed with the Fisher House efforts that he ‘pulled out his checkbook on the spot and wrote a check large enough to pay for construction of a new Fisher House at BAMC.
The problem, according to Fisher House President David Coker, is that while Washington did make a ’sizeable’ donation to the program, the e-mail claim is almost entirely bogus.
“Denzel came to visit with the soldiers and Marines being cared for at Brooke Army Medical Center last December 17th,” Coker said. “He visited with them and told them how much he respects their service. He also toured one of the two Fisher Houses at Brooke Army Medical Center.”
“Denzel did not take out a checkbook and write a check on the spot,”Coker says. “He seldom carries a check book with him.”
Coker said Washington did in fact make a sizeable donation to Fisher House several months after his visit to BAMC. He declined to comment on the size of the donation, but it was not enough to build a new Fisher House.
He said while largely incorrect, the e-mail has done much to raise awareness of the Fisher House program.
Washington is also well known as a philanthropist, he has donated $1 million to the Children’s Fund of South Africa, and $2.5 million to the Church of God.
Check one for the jaded LA guys!
Read about one of the best hoaxes of all time!
Similar Independent Sources posts:
- The Red Army Choir’s “Sweet Home Alabama”: Okay, I was late to the party on this one but it is worth it. In fact I need to ask those friends of mine who do drugs if this is what a "trip" is lik ...
- NYT to Commoners: Shoo! or Why the NYT likes Kelo so much: According to the Village Voice, the attitude of the NYT's is "don't soil our publicly subsidized new HQ with your riff-raff." The Pataki administratio ...
- Who says you can’t rekindle love? Joey and Amy back together: It's a classic romantic tale... boy meets (underage) girl, girl shoots boy's wife in the face, boy and girl go to jail. Girl marries another man and h ...
- Searching for Cambodian Midgets and other Hoaxes: When you walk by someone’s cubicle and see a Google or Yahoo search window open, what do you think they looking for? You might be surprised. Scanning ...
- Survival Kit: New Orleans Style: Hurricane Survival Kit Toilet Paper............................................................check! Bud Light...................................... ...